Co-founder, CTO, Package Portal Inc. 2019-06 — Present
I achieved one of my long-term goals and co-founded a product company: Package Portal. This company will bring contactless delivery confirmation to the global consumer-e-commerce relationship. We will drive improved delivery quality, returning customers to the best merchants, and fun incentives to consumers including cryptocurrencies.
- Learned React Native and Hasura GraphQL and built my first native app
- Coordinated the creation of our initial branding, logo, and UX flows with a UX designer
- Rallied a small team of engineers to ship V1 of the native app, backend services, and blockchain integration
- Set-up company IT infrastructure: GSuite, Rippling, Slack, authentication, and cloud hosting
Senior Software Engineer, Philips 2020-01 — 2021-06
As my time at both Medumo and Philips progressed, I wanted to focus on growing in my vision, product, and business development skills. For example, I promoted the development of a new API as a potential internal SaaS product. This focus helped prepare me to lead my own company.
- Guided team through updating our legacy systems to scale with increased number of patients
- Built strong working relationships with new hires continuing to leverage my mentoring skills but with more of a product and vision focus
- Promoted product vision for a new API that managed SMS sending and consent as a potential internal SaaS product
- Drove cross-functional collaboration for a potential new cardiology business opportunity within the Philips product ecosystem
Senior Software Engineer, Medumo 2018-03 — 2019-12
After a long Rails/*nix dev environment, I returned to my Microsoft .NET roots but at an early stage health-tech startup this time. We were acquired by Philips in May 2019, allowing me to walk through my second startup-to-enterprise transition.
- Driving microservice development across the team through patterns and technology from message bus for communication to Terraform modules for re-useable infrastructure creation
- Filled gaps in process from branching strategies (e.g. gitflow) to documentation (e.g. repo readme's, plantUML) to improved CI/CD definitions (e.g. pipeline yaml over UI)
- Refactored the core patient enrollment script-like procedure into a resuable, testable library
- Guided a newer engineer through designing and excuting a message broadcast tool that became one of our most popular tools with clients
- Mentored an amazing group of newer engineers using tools from paired programming to code reviews to a weekly Design Day meeting
Software Engineer, HomeLight 2018-01 — 2018-03
This was a transitional period for me leaving my first acquisition experience. I got in right after a Series A round at Homelight and realized that I wanted another early-stage startup experience to practice all I had learned.
Engineering Manager, RetailMeNot 2017-12 — PresentScrumRuby on Rails HerokuPostgreSQLRabbitMQ RedisNewRelicMicroservices SentryPapertrailSwift BitriseReact NativePhoenix/Elixir
I assumed a manager role in August. I have the privilege of empowering a growing number of engineers in a new office through many technical and cultural changes. I also helped lead the team to ship APIs and products critical in the first year of acquisition.
- Played a pivotal role in doubling the total team size in the first year of acquisition
- Designed and shipped an alpha and private beta of a new mobile product
- Created plan to deliver first Phoenix/Elixir API and drove plan to completion
- Organized the team to decide on tech for a mobile app which resulted in a working prototype of a React Native Android app in a week
- Counseled a lead engineer through rallying a team to tackle some significant scaling issues
- Guided team through acquisition changes
Senior Software Engineer, RetailMeNot 2016-04 — 2016-08ScrumRuby on Rails HerokuPostgreSQLRabbitMQ RedisNewRelicMicroservices SentryPapertrail
This was a transitional post-acquisition position as the company calibrated to the existing team and the business direction.
- Organized engineering group into 3 teams
- Led teams to adopt Scrum with great success
- Delivered initial UI that denoted acquisition
- Worked with teams in Austin to develop initial post-acquisition roadmap
Lead Developer, Giftcard Zen 2014-04 — 2016-04Ruby on Rails Angular.jsHerokuPostgreSQL RabbitMQRedisNewRelic MicroservicesSentryPapertrail
I transitioned from years of experience in a .NET enterprise environment to a Rails startup environment. I was able to apply many design principles I learned at NCARB (DDD, distributed system design, etc.) to guide a small team towards a microservices architecture and a continuous delivery pipeline. We were able to ship the features, survive the DDoS attacks, and be a fun united team to be acquired by RetailMenot in April 2016.
- Built the foundation for the continuous integration and delivery pipeline
- Shepherded architecture from monoliths towards microservices
- Drove use of pub/sub including initiating an in-house developed open source project foundational in our architecture
- Helped develop a scaleable interview process to build the core team
- Developed and presented technical documentation for the RetailMeNot acquisition due-diligence team including their CTO
Software Engineer, InfernoRed Technology 2014-04 — 2013-06C#ASP.NET MVC Entity Framework Code-FirstVisual Studio
I helped a new consulting firm build and improve software for their clients. I played a key role in answering client performance questions about their SaaS web application as well as contributed to web and mobile applications. This was a remote position that also included visiting client sites.
- Built a heavliy customized load test suite for testing a multi-tenant app
- Presented performance analysis and recommendations to the client VP and leads
- Contributed to development efforts on a Windows Store app
Software Engineer, National Council of Architectural Registration Boards 2011-02 — 2013-06C#Visual Studio Backbone.jsASP.NET MVCSQL Server Service Oriented ArchitectureDistributed transactions Publish / subscribe
I joined a newly formed team to upgrade this not-for-profit's legacy .NET applications to next-gen .NET applications. This is where I was introduced to methodologies like Scrum, Domain-Driven Design and distributed systems design. I took classes from Eric Evans (Domain-Driven Design author) and Udi Dahan (NServiceBus author).
- Facilitated collaboration between between third-party UX team and the development team
- Promoted the use of Backbone.js to the development team
- Recommend a better solution for the new evaluation report which resulted in a different feature roadmap
Software Engineer, Lockheed Martin 2011-02 — 2007-08C#Visual Studio ASP.NET WebFormsjQueryHTML/CSS Fluent NHibernateSQL ServerOracle Java
I delivered my first production applications that included object-oriented designs, jQuery, ORM, and HTTP API calls.
- Championed jQuery to the team to meet a customer request for web UI performance improvements
- Added client web service requests to external systems which decreased HR analyst processing time from three weeks to just over one week
- Drove changes to replace the use of stored procedures with ORM
- Integrated with a Netconf API to configure Cisco routers
Web Developer/Salesman, Harmony House 2007-08 — 1999-03PHPMVC MySQLHTML/CSS
This is where I built my first web application while I was working on my CS degree (awww). I introduced myself to CSS, HTML, PHP, and MVC through this creative process. I had so much fun learning and building.
- Set-up local area network and point-of-sale system
- Built store website including a custom content management system increasing piano sales by 48%
- Sold guitars